Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rejoice


As a little girl it was not an unfamiliar sight to see me singing & dancing around to the beat of my own drum (I wonder where Veronica gets it from?). I loved singing, absolutely loved it. I would stand on mall benches belting out, "YES JESUS LOVES ME!" I would memorize anything to music much more quickly than by repeating the words out loud over and over (so boring). One of my favorite songs my dad played on his guitar was 'This is the day.' Simplistic verse from Psalm 118:24 where it says, "this is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." Simple but with it brings much needed clarity at times.

When I'm sitting at the table wondering how I can possibly thank God for anything (after the girls have been whining non-stop), the words, "this is the day..." spill from my mouth.

Today, well, it's absolutely gorgeous outside. It's summer at it's peak. Why then am I feeling so blah. You know when you wake up with enough sleep, actually shower, and eat breakfast at a reasonable time, but you're not quite stepping in time with the cadence of life.

It's been like that today. Girls a little bit more whiny, Veronica decided to be scared of dance class again, Cadence is a fireball (in a not so good way) and I survey the house with clutter here and clutter there. But then came nap time. I remember seeing nap time as my crossing the Red Sea moment. And you would think today would be that time, except it was different. I needed nap time to step back, to sing with belief "I will rejoice and be glad in it." We're given those moments where life is overbearing, our heads are going to explode and we have stooped to the level of our one year old temper tantrum. Then, in those moments when we're paying attention we see what it's all about.



Cadence does this thing with eyes & head that tickle me pink. When I was holding her pre-nap time, I kissed her neck. She blurts out infectious laughter. Then, she does her "thing," by turning her head to the side to leave a welcome for any vampire while eyes look upward as if she is in complete ignorance of the tickle kiss which is to come. Tickle, kiss, laugh, turn head, eyes up...repeat. I thought--it's this that I don't want to forget, "I will rejoice and be glad in it."

Veronica says she needs to bring her bagel into daddy's work (after I suggested leaving it in the car) says, "That's okay, don't worry about it" to me. Or how she insists that her hair needs to be taken out of the ponytail holder for nap time because, "it's too hardy" and "I need my hair down like a princess, mama's & daddy's princess." And for me, "I will rejoice and be glad in it."



These girls really do drive me nuts at times. There are moments and days when I get overwhelmed and want to sell them to the local band of gypsies. But, when I hear Veronica's weird made-up word echoing through the house, "ZI-YAH!", I can't help but shout back, "ZI-YAH," just so I can hear Cadence's little voice say, "ZI-YAH" followed by a laugh. It's in these moments I need to cling to while life is twirling and telling me to give up, but instead I shout back with a bellowed "I WILL REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT!" (oh and of course, "ZI-YAHHHH!).

3 comments:

Paige said...

Amen!

just4ann said...

I love that song. When I was working for Kay Bee Toys my manager was really cruel and verbally abusive and I was getting to the point I didn't want to go to work. Now don't get me wrong, I love working there, it was the manager that was doing horrible things. Well, I said all of that to say this. Each day while walking to work I would sing that song. I found that even though there were people that loved to be hurtful and cruel, I was calling on the Lord through that song and remembering that I was able to put things in perspective , that "This IS the DAY that the LORD HAS MADE and I WILL REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT." The LORD helped me realize that every day is blessed day even if your in a hard place at that time.

Jenna said...

LOVE IT!!! Thanks, Kamille. :) Ziyah. that's a good one.