Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

On the Sisterhood

I never had a sister. When my mom was pregnant with my younger brother Andrew, I remember praying to God asking for a sister. Not only did I get a brother, but he happened to share the same birthday with my older brother, which meant another thing to bond them.



I never got my wish, but Veronica got mine for her.

It wasn't until two months ago how glad I was that Veronica got a sister instead of a brother. When I was pregnant with Cadence, I was wanting a boy to ensure we had one of each. But, of course, I wouldn't have it any other way. They each have a sister. A friend. A buddy to do life with. It's a bond I have never known. I have prayed for that bond since Cadence was born.

When we pray at night, Veronica wants to pray for her friends and this is what I pray, "Lord, I pray for (insert name her), that she'll/he'll be obedient to her/his mommy & daddy, be kind to her/his brother or sister and a good friend." We pray that our girls, who are vastly different, will be kind towards one another, best of friends, stand up for one another and share laughter & love with each other.

Veronica has high emotions. She's a reactionary and she's three. I'm a reactionary and I don't have the three years of age thing going for me. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. She hears four items come from my mouth a couple times a day, "Take a deep breath, stay calm, get control & use your words." It's my mantra for her (and me). It works at those miraculous moments, but the stats are around 28% of the time (increasing every week).

However, I recently noticed how these four statements (this mantra) is almost always practiced out when it comes to Cadence. Veronica will run to the kitchen to tell me, "AWWW, mama, I'm so frustrated at sister Cadence!"


As a stay at home mama, I see many of my child's shortcomings and there are days when I focus only on the shortcomings and fail to see the achievements. But, in good fashion, I feel it necessary to boast about how wonderful Veronica is to Cadence. I can only think of a couple times where she's been mean. She is the best big sister to Cadence, which makes Cadence want to do any & all things Veronica does even more so.



Veronica was watching a Strawberry Shortcake video and Cadence wanted to sit next to her sister. So I helped her up and a minute later, I caught this on film. And another reason why Veronica loves her sister and does a good job at it. If this doesn't melt your heart, I honestly don't know what will.


video

1 comment:

just4ann said...

What a sweet big sister. I love how she has her arm around her little sister.