Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Did I Mention???


That I made V's Christmas dress? Well, I did and I have to say that I am very proud of it. I'm not much of a seamstress and during Home Economics (three years), the sewing portion had little to be desired. Mainly, because I liked everything to be just right and I couldn't be rushed. Both qualities making it rather difficult when we had a deadline.

All that to say, and you'd think I hated it so much I would never touch a sewing machine again. Well, that's not completely true either. When it comes down to it, I simply don't have the patience or diligence to do all the steps. I absolutely abhor cutting out the patterns. Then, to have to pin and cut some more. My least favorite step. Actually, anything with pinning is my least favorite, which is truly one of the basis for accuracy. And I'd be kidding myself if I said accuracy didn't matter. However, I did hardly any cutting for patterns for this dress.

In fact, I basically measured V and then went from there creating my own template and two days later....
yes blurry, but imagine it's artistic

Another thing I'm proud of is the price I paid for such nice material. And here it is me to you (as if you didn't know this already)...Sewing Tip #11: Always check out the discount fabric. I got this lovely cranberry formal fabric for something like $3.00 a yard (you have to boast when you find a steal--right!). I knew I wanted a peasant dress to make it easy and then I got two different notions. One off-white lace to line the arms and the other lace to line the front, giving it texture and a bit more "OOMPH." I'm taking orders now for Christmas 2010 dresses. :)




4 comments:

Ben and Emily Wells said...

I'm so impressed! Beautiful dress on a beautiful girl. Tutorial, please!

Paige said...

Great job Kamille! I love to sew! I'm excited to pick it up more as my kids get older...that is whenever I stop having babies!

I don't know if you got my facebook reply but I'd love to see you girls and you're more than welcome to come down ANY time. The drive is a little bit of a bear unless you can make it through Everett and Seattle with no traffic, then it's not so bad.

Jeff Timberwolf said...

Thanks Emily for the vote of confidence. I will see what I can come up with in terms of tutorials:)

Paige thanks and yes I did get your message and I have been looking at my calendar for possibilities.

Kamille

Jenny said...

Way to go with no pattern! I bought a sewing machine for $20 on Craigslist a couple months ago and have been having lots of fun w/it. I cling to patterns, though so very impressed!