Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Job Description & Resolutions


At night, right before my head hits the pillow, my mind starts to race. Does this happen to you? You begin to think of all the things you didn't get done during the day, the things you need to accomplish tomorrow and the constant tally of home & personal projects without a check by their name. That was me last night, while Ben snored on. There are two parts about this which become quite annoying. One is I love making lists...making me wonder if there really are that many items to get done or is it my list making obsession? And two, if it's not completely my obsession, then where does one draw the line?

Well, as I sat in bed I began thinking about the whole New Year's Resolution thing and wondered if I should give it a try. I've actually never made any New Year's Resolutions, because I tend to think they're hogwash. Here is what I wrote last night as I was pondering the subject:

Honestly, I find resolutions a bit overdone & the follow through is lacking, which makes me typically avoid making resolutions. Maybe if I make resolutions in specific areas of my life I could find the abstract date the concrete. It's like what Ben has said (he heard it from someone else and so on), "We don't say what I 'might' do such & such, but I 'will,' because there is only 'will' in accomplishing goals."
It's so true. It's easier to say I might or I would like to do _______, but that leaves it ambiguous and a bit hopeless. And I guess that's what I don't like about New Year's Resolutions, because I don't want to commit to something and be like the rest of society saying I will resolve myself to ______, but lack follow through. However, I am all about goals and dreaming big (hence the endless lists and the visionary dreamer). But all of that goes to waste if there isn't follow through. And although I'm an ENFJ with the J being more structured and organized than the P's; I'm not a strong J. I like the spontaneity and option for change, which makes this whole job of homemaker a bit perplexing at times.

So the resolution...well, as I was flipping through my notebook, which I've had since I found out I was pregnant with Cadence, I came across a page titled, 'Kamille's Job Description 8am-5pm.' Well if that doesn't make your body shiver for those P's and teetering J's. It doesn't have a date posted, but I'm assuming it was pre-Cadence since it only talks about Veronica. Ben, the logistical one, helped me put it together. Logistics are not my strength, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, but definitely one of Ben's. He is incredible at finding solutions to problems and creating systems to fix it. On the other hand, I'm gifted at inspiring change & coming up with ideas on how to change; but, implementing it is a bit tricky (I think this is one of our marital strengths).

When I worked at Hillcrest Kids in the managerial arena, I brought these gifts to the table, which I believe helped the company thrive in new ways. Another area I tried to create as best as possible for my school age staff was giving them clear expectations, in order for them to reach their potential. I know if I don't have clear expectations in a workplace (whether it be in a paid or stay at home mother position), than reaching my potential is stifled. And for those of you stay at home mom's, wouldn't you agree that is the case with your children? When they know what is expected of them and comprehend the consequences when the expectations are not met...they thrive!

So as I reflected upon what I did at H.K. for myself, my staff & the children, I knew I needed the same thing in my new job role as homemaker & mother. The dilemma was not having a time clock, being more emotionally invested, & the feeling of 'my job is never done.' Plus, I didn't have clear expectations written out. This is what led to the creation of 'Kamille's Job Description.' And here is what we came up with:

Kamille's Job Description 8am-5pm
Roles: homemaker, mother, volunteer

  1. Mother Duties
  • diapering & potty training
  • feeding/cooking & clean-up & teaching good eating habits
  • clothing
  • conversing with her
  • playing & interacting
  • creating social interactions
  • teacher her manners & chores/working/helping
  • buying/shopping for her needs
  • laundry
  • education for self on child development, discipline & mothering
  • Physical Development: provide large motor & fine motor opportunities
  • Emotional Development: empathy when hurt, how to deal/express emotions in a healthy way=validation
  • Mental Development: playing, reading, introducing new challenges/toys
  • Spiritual Development: praying before meals, praying with her and for her, teaching right & wrong, telling her about Jesus, singing songs
  • Discipline
***Pray--Smile--Be encouraging
  1. Homemaker Duties
  • dinner; prep, make, devise menu
  • grocery shopping; make list, know pantry, stay in budget
  • laundry; wash, dry, fold, put away
  • dishes; load & unload
  • bathroom; sweep, mop, sinks, toilet, tub
  • sweep & mop common areas
  • vacuum
  • organize closets & pantries
  • reduce clutter by putting items in appropriate spot & donating items
  • keeping stock of dry/canned food, frozen & fresh
  • clean up common areas
  • dust
  • wash diapers
  • keep our household calendar up to date (this can include our blog too)
  • keep a working budget

Now these were what we wrote down over a year ago, so this needs some fine tuning; but, I think it's a good start and I'm going to revisit this area of life. And I guess I would say that this is part of my Resolution. There I said it...I will type out my expectation list and when I lose track I won't get discouraged, but get back on course.

For me and our household, we are working on our family mission statement, in order to know where we are headed. And one of my resolutions is to read the book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families. If anyone else would like to join me in this read, feel free. I will blog on the chapters.

The other thing I will be partaking in for the month of January is 'Eat from the Pantry Challenge.' It's described in the link provided, but for our family it will look a bit different than what is stated on Money Saving Mom's blog. We will use what's in our pantry and I will set an amount of money I am willing to spend for the month. Stay tuned as I chart our progress. Well, Cadence is crying for me and Veronica has managed to get into some more monkey business. Signing off for 2009.

No comments: