Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kid Lunches part deux

I realize my daughter isn't a picky eater, which makes making meals a bit easier compared to other children (who knows Cadence could be my picky eater). I think it's fairly common for kids to not really like meats too much. Veronica has always liked ham and salmon; however, chicken is a tricky spot. If it's not cooked "just right" (which is hard to do) then she will chew it up and realize she doesn't like it and spit it out. I thought I would put down some other ideas we like (or should I say what Veronica likes) and once a week I'll post a new recipe. I like to make sure Veronica gets a carb & protein mixture in all her meals, and sometimes I don't have all the time in the world to accomplish this goal.

1. Brown rice cakes spread with Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese or cream cheese and then some no sugar jam on top of that.

2. Smoothies are always a hit in our home (sounds the same for Scheids & Backholms too). Either a blueberry smoothie (frozen blueberries, orange juice, lowfat plain yogurt, banana & ice) or peanut butter banana smoothie (ice, milk, peanut butter, banana & sometimes protein powder).

3. English Muffin pizzas: (we use whole wheat english muffins, top with tomato sauce (seasoned to your liking) and top with cheese and any other toppings if so desired. Either put it in the microwave or in oven until cheese melts a bit). Veronica LOVES these.

4. Whole grain frozen waffles (we bought some Kashi ones from Costco, so they're whole grain, have flax & fiber). Since I don't want tons of sugar in Veronica's system I top with either peanut butter & bananas, or blueberries and blueberry syrup, or plain yogurt & a fresh chopped fruit. She also LOVES these.


This week I'll be trying a new recipe if you all want to try it with me...

Lily Pad Pancakes

Ingredients:
8 oz (about 1 1/2 cups) frozen peas, thawed
2 Tb water
1 egg
3 Tb all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
Vegetable oil, as needed
Butter or plain yogurt for serving

Preparation: Set aside 1/3 cup of the peas

Add the remaining peas to a blender with the water and egg; puree until smooth.

Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the flour, salt, and baking powder and gradually mix with a fork or whisk. Stir in the reserved 1/3 cup peas; let the batter rest for 10 minutes while you clean up.

Place about 2 Tb of oil in a saute pan, warm over medium heat until simmering, and drop 1 Tb of batter into the pan. Gently cook for about 3 minutes, until you see bubbles forming around the edges. Flip and cook on the second side until very lightly browned. Continue until all the batter is gone. Serve warm with butter or plain yogurt. (makes 15 silver dollar size pancakes)

Variation: add in cooked bay shrimp, diced chicken or fresh corn.

Toddler tip: If your child won't usually eat peas, make sure you add all the peas to the blender in the first step so they get pureed.

**Paige mentioned she adds a handful of fresh kale into the smoothie--great idea!!
**Biz mentioned that PB is a fav and anything she can give to Adri to dip into PB. I think this is true for toddlers. They become interested in food when they can dip for some reason.

6 comments:

Paige said...

I like the english muffin pizza idea. Pear just might go for that! I'm not sure about the lily pad pancakes...they sound interesting. Let me know how they go.

Kamille said...

Hey Paige I will let you know how the pea pancakes go. Does Pear still not like many fruits?

kjg said...

Sam loves smoothies too and I always add yogurt, banana and some other fruit, then I sneak in the really good stuff, like spinach, or left over green bean, or carrots, or sweet potato, or, dare I even say, black beans!! A mom's got to do what a mom's got to do with a picky eater sometimes! Thanks for all the good ideas. It's easy to get stuck in a rut...keep them coming.
Megan

Paige said...

Pear still only has 11 teeth and it makes chewing an issue. She likes most fruits now but apples require a little more chewing than she wishes to give. Raisins are spit out instantly. And every try with PB has been rejected!

sbackholm said...

Lily Pad Pancakes...that sounds disgusting.


Regards,
Stephen

KAMILLE said...

Thanks Stephen--but you never know! I have made zucchini patties before and they were really good.