Crust ingredients mixed together (I say use your hands to mix--clean of course)
After baking for 10 minutes
Adding the caramel filling
Chocolate chips added
The remainder crumb added on top
And the caramely, chocolate goodness!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats (the recipe calls for quick-cooking, but regular are fine)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups softened butter
- 1 (12.25 oz) jar (1 cup) Caramel Ice Cream topping
- 3 Tb flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I typically omit the nuts and they taste great w/o)
- Heat oven to 350. Grease 13x9-in pan. Combine all of your crust ingredients into one bowl. Mix at low speed if using a mixer, or combine all the ingredients by hand, so they look like a crisp topping. Reserve half of the crumb mixture (3 cups) for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is in oven, combine caramel sauce and 3 Tb flour. Mix well.
- Remove partially baked crust from oven. Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on caramel topping. If you use nuts, sprinkle evenly now. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture on top of the caramel, chocolate goodness.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or till golden brown. Cool 1 hour or whenever it is completely cooled. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or till filling is set. Cut into bars.