Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008

Cadence Evangelina







Cadence Evangelina born November 14 @ 1:14 p.m. She came in as a small peanut: 6 lbs 2 oz,
19 1/2 in long. She bears a full head of hair with different features from big sister. Cadence means "rhythm," and Evangelina (Greek) means "Brings good news or bearer of good news."

Her Birth Story:

On November 12th in the evening my water started to leak, so I went to the Birthing Center to get it checked out. Sure enough that is what had happened, but it wasn't the gush feeling I had with Veronica's labor. However, I was still at 1 cm from my previous check up. I thought, "well I'll probably be having this baby tomorrow (the 13th)." We went home and slept in anticipation of contractions.

To my surprise this little one was still quite content in my belly and I rested on the 13th till 12pm to get as much energy for the birth that I was sure would happen before the day's end. I contacted my midwife and she told me different things that I could do to induce labor naturally. So, from 1pm to 3:30pm I used the breast pump, which started some contractions, but they didn't continue much past the point I stopped using the pump. I went on a walk, didn't really work. I drank a castor oil smoothie. It wasn't that bad, that is up until the point I drank the last part and had a gag reflux happen. Then, by the time we got home I felt super nauseous. I soon threw up.

I was going to go in at 4pm to have a folly put in my cervix to cause dilation, but I was too sick and actually felt like contractions were happening. I used the pump more, but then the contractions subsided. Veronica stayed the night with friends, so Ben and I went to the birthing center around 7pm or so to get the folly put in. At that point I was at 2 cm. The folly works best if I walked while having it in and it's suppose to fall out once I hit 3-4 cm. Also got the wonderful enema. Soon after that the folly fell out and it was 9:30 pm. We fell asleep thinking something would happen. Nothing did by the time the midwife showed up at 11:30pm.

We did all sorts of things to get this baby to come, but my body was just not contracting. One of the problems is that my cervix was tilted and her head was not pressing right on top of it. The second midwife came around 2 pm and by 3:15 or so, they decided it was time for me to go to the hospital to induce using Pitocin. We went to Island Hospital in Anacortes, because they are more favorable to having the midwifery model of care present. We liked our experience there even more than St. Joe's as well.

I liked how they slowly eased my body into the use of Pitocin, which started at 6 am. They started with the lowest dose possible and add one more each half hour, until the body is responding with contractions. I would get some contractions, but nothing that bothered me. When I was checked around 11:30ish I was at 6 or 7 cm, but wasn't really in any pain. Finally, I started having strong contractions that rose and rose. With Veronica my whole labor of when I started feeling any contractions was 4 1/2 hours total. This little Cadence wanted to be quite different.

Basically, I was in transition wondering when in the world it would be over and any time I was checked, it seemed like it was the same story (not quite yet). I kind of felt the urge to push, but not completely. Finally, I'm feeling like I need to push and the nurse gave me the green light. However, I would get contractions more like cervical contractions and not pushing ones. My midwives weren't allowed to check me, so they had no clue that I really wasn't ready.

When the doctor came in (she was great) to check me she said I wasn't ready. Remember how the midwives at our house said my cervix was tilted and the babies' head wasn't right on top--well this was the problem. I had an anterior lip over the head, which was blocking that whole 10 cm thing. Also, whenever I was checked throughout the night and day--they would say I was at a 3 or 4 but they could open my cervix easily to a 6-7. So, I was sitting on the birthing stool and Dr. Guard told me to let her know when I had a contraction. Right when I told her, she went in to move the lip of my cervix off the head, which I felt immediately the "real" need to push. I felt the baby drop so fast (Praise God!!!). I pushed for about 5 minutes and out popped this long awaited present known as our second daughter, Cadence.

I was the first to hold her and to announce that we received a second daughter. She was so much smaller than Veronica just by looking at her. I was thinking, how much does she weigh, b/c she definitely looks and feels lighter than Veronica.

I really don't think she was ready to come out, but once that water breaks, she couldn't turn back. We're so glad (esp. me) that part is over and we get to hold her and love on her. Having number two is an adjustment (mentally) for me. When I saw Veronica for the first time in two days I just cried. I am so glad we have Cadence in our lives and I know God is going to do wonderful things in and through her. I'm excited how Veronica is going to love on her little sister and Cadence is going to adore her--and even more how they cultivate a long lasting friendship.

One thing I've learned from this labor & birth is to never think you know what is going to happen or even get your sights upon how things will work out when people give you their opinion, b/c it's most likely wrong. Veronica was 4 1/2 hours of contractions and pushing total--Cadence was, well what seemed like forever. Veronica 8lbs 2 oz; 21 in--Cadence 6 lbs 2 oz; 19 1/2 in. I guess it shows me how these two are already so different!



20 comments:

sdm.love said...

Kamille, I am so happy for you and your family. I'm grateful that things went well and you have your precious Cadence (kay-dense, I presume?) here to make this world even better. I'm sending kisses to all of you.

Jenny said...

You're both healthy; praise God! I hope Veronica loves her right away. How wonderful to have to precious girls. Sisters!

P.S. I see another beautiful head of hair in the works. Yes.

amy said...

What a wonderful birth story Kamille! Thank you so much for sharing it! I love birth stories. I am so thankful that Cadence is here and healthy and that your family can enjoy being a loving group of four. We celebrated our second born's (luke) birthday today and our whole family has been focusing on the fact that he is such a blessing to all of our lives. And the truth is that Luke is one of the biggest blessings in Aidan's life!
I am excited for Veronica to have that in her sister now too!

Love you guys and glad that all is well!

Christine from Playgroup :) said...

Congratulations! You've been in my thoughts and prayers ever since playgroup and I had a feeling you weren't going to wait until the due date. :) Sisters....what a blessing! I look forward to meeting sweet little Cadence.

auntie amber :) said...

people.... photos do not do this baby justice... she is BEAUTIFUL. Her hair is straight as a stick and is all over her adorable little perfect head! She keeps opening her eyes and looking around... and she doesn't cry when her auntie smothers her little face with kisses.... :)

Ben said...

Kamille missed two important details about the birth. First, the guy at the mall gave me a free piece of pizza because my wife was in labor. Second, the breakfast at the hospital was super cheap and really good. 3.50 for an omlette, English muffin and 16oz coffee. It hit the spot.

Jeff and Bethany said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you guys! So glad everything went well and everyone is healthy. Praise God! Looking forward to meeting little Cadence. I'm sure Adri and Veronica are excited to have another little girl around at playgroup.
-Bethany Flint

Amber said...

Congrats!!!!! I am so happy for you and your family. What a beautiful addition! She looks so beautiful and her coloring was awesome!!! Love all the hair! She has more then Emma-Kay and she is 13mths old! I'm jealous!!!

I hope that your at home resting when possible and enjoying your precious baby girl! I hope that Veronica is adjusting well to baby sister, Cadence. Enjoy all the love you have!!!!

Ali said...

Kamille and Ben - I'm so happy for you and your new little bundle of joy! She's precious! I can't wait to read more about her. I'm sending happy thoughts and prayers your way... Enjoy every moment! Happy Birthday Cadence!!!

amy said...

Leave it to the investment adviser to be additionally excited about getting a deal!

And I love the new header picture. Darling!

Jake and Talia said...

Yay. I teared up.... I love the picture of you breastfeeding your new (still blueish) new born. We're praying for this adjustment. That you'll feel how God is/and will fit both girls into your life so perfectly.

Adrienne said...

i love her already... can't WAIT WAIT WAIT to see you guys. love you all!

Rebecca M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca M said...

Kamille and Ben-

Congratulations on your second sweet daughter!

I've been visiting your blog in the last month while you've been waiting for the Big Day to come- I don't know if you remember me from college- I represent another semi-ccf-ish couple who grew up and got married. Bob and I now have 4 kids, 2 boys, a girl and another boy!

I'd have to say that watching sibling relationships form is near the top of my list of fun things to do with my kids- you've got a lot of neat things coming your way with your two little girls!

May God bless all four of you as you welcome Cadence!

with love from the Montgomery family!

Rebecca M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Had to leave another comment about the Kodak moment of a header picture. Lovely! I usually think newborns need to grow into their cuteness but Cadence is so precious. And I remember I thought the same about Veronica. I'm not lying. You can't see me, so I could've just avoided the topic altogether. Such sweet girls. Sweet, sweet girls.

Also, I'd like the address to the hospital in Anacortes w/the cheap breakfast. Do you know if they do brunch?

Aaron and Lucy Sherwood said...

Ben and Kamille, we are so happy for you on the birth of your daughter. What a blessing from God for you to love now! Get as much rest as you can Kamille and thank you for posting your birth story so soon. It was wonderful. Much love, Lucy

The Withrow (K) said...

Yay! What a story! Congrats!

Katie and Andy

kjg said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story Kamille, it was beautiful and we can't wait to meet baby Cadence soon!

Megan

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to see both my precious little angels. I cannot wait to smother them with love, hugs and kisses. I miss my little Veronica and am excited to meet my new little granddaughter. Both of you have done such a great job with Veronica and I know that you will do the same with Cadence. God could not have picked a more perfect couple to give such a wonderful gift as my two granddaughters. I am so proud of you and admire the both of you.
Love Mom