Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hurricane CTC & CC

For those of you who don't know what Hurricane I forementioned, it is the Hurricane Chocolate Truffle Cake & Carrot Cake one that hit our house the past few days. I would like to say that I have these glorious pictures of how lovely the desserts looked on display at the reception. I even had my camera and specifically told Ben, "I'm going to take pictures of the desserts before anyone touches them," (as I walked away was distracted by someone or something and I didn't even have the camera).

Unfortunately, I have no pictures to display--unless I get some at a later point in time from someone who did take a picture (say the photographer from J&T's wedding). I did take some pictures during the reign of terror in our house, but you'll have to wait for those. I wanted to let you know how it all went.

First off--remind me (Ben is already first on the list) to never enlist to serve anyone (no matter how important they are to me) in this fashion again. Well, that is while I'm pregnant with uterus pushing down on my back & pelvic, taking care of a toddler, and having a small kitchen to work in. I started the baking on Thursday, while doing much of the prep work (i.e. weighing, measuring, cutting etc) before Thursday. I think everything was going well until Friday, when I started to feel like my body couldn't keep up with the demands of getting everything done.

I began to feel like a student feels when pulling an all nighter, except it was only 5 o'clock for me. It wasn't just my body that couldn't keep up, but my mind was draining. I went to bed by 10 on Friday and Saturday felt like a new woman. I finished the rest of the Carrot Cake, started the last batches of Chocolate Truffle Cake and had Ben's help by loading the car with the utensils, frozen cakes, and the rest of the cakes. I had to be at the reception site to help direct how I wanted the dessert table to be set up.

This of course meant I couldn't finish all of the baking at home and simply focus on the food aspect. However, it was also nice to get out of the house and set up the display. One of my friends happened to show up to help set up. The advantage of this friend is she has experience in the cake decorating arena, which meant she could help me by frosting the cakes & cupcakes. Huge help, because I had to go back home and get the rest of the cakes & finish baking the chocolate truffle cakes--oh and take a shower.

When I got back the area looked lovely and the cakes were frosted. For the leftover Carrot Cakes that I brought, I decided to give them a more rustic look. Instead of frosting the sides I simply put more frosting on the first layer, smear it around, put the second layer on top, smoosh down a bit so the frosting squeezed a little, and put more frosting on top. It looked great.

We had more than enough with leftovers. I was also right in my original assumptions about making 2/3 carrot and 1/3 chocolate truffle. So many people were in line to get carrot cake and the feedback was equally glorious, which makes all the work worthwhile to me. Ben said that he thought more carrot cake would be better, b/c most people want cake at weddings (that's his theory).

Our final menu plan was the Chocolate Truffle Cakes (gluten-free, but doesn't taste like it) with Homemade Raspberry Sauce/Puree, Carrot Cake and a couple Carrot Cake Cupcakes. Although I baked all these things, I didn't eat them (except for one bite of the Chocolate Truffle Cake at home). I think the baking is enough to satisfy the hunger element. Plus, all I wanted to eat at the reception was the watermelon in the food line. I do think the Carrot Cake looked the most appealing, b/c it had cream cheese frosting (YUM), walnuts, pineapple, and carrots all together. "MMMM," as Veronica would say.

I wouldn't mind baking again for a large party as long as I'm not in a small kitchen, not in my third trimester (or maybe pregnant at all), and taking care of my children while doing it. Veronica was a help going shopping as she put things in the cart, poured shredded carrots in a bowl and even helped putting some of the cupcake liners in the muffin tins--what a girl.

5 comments:

Jake and Talia said...

You're amazing. Now you Know! No big baking while pregnant! Knowing is half the battle.
They were amazing...and now you have a great story.
Hope you're recovering!

amy said...

I can not even imagine! Crazy!
One of the things that is hard on me in late pregnancy is standing in the kitchen for too long.
I am glad you are on the other side of this adventure!
And glad Veronica was such a sweet help too!

Jenny said...

Way to go, Kamille. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Sounds like you need a little R&R and I sure hope you get it. You should open a catering business when your kids are bigger. I think you'd be a wonderful caterer and Veronica could REALLY help you then, along with babies 2-?.

Paige said...

Wow! What a week for you! I still stand amazed that you pulled it off without losing your hair or going crazy. Not that I doubted you could do it, I can just imagine how much work it was and my reaction in a situation like that.

KAMILLE said...

Talia--yes knowing is half the battle. Oh me and my idealism & optimism, it can really bite me in the end. I'm glad to have a story too, that makes most of these things worthwhile.

Amy--no kidding about standing too long. It's really hard and people who haven't been pregnant don't really understand it all. I too am glad to be on the other side of the adventure and glad to know I have a sweet little helper.

Jenny--if I ever get pictures of the final products I will post them, b/c it truly did look lovely. Yes I agree about the catering thing later on in life--I have been considering it. We'll see!

Paige--I tried to not get stressed, esp. since Ben mentioned that he doesn't like me doing things like this due to the stress factor. I think I was trying to prove him wrong. There were moments. I'm glad I can rest.