This summer has been an unusual one for sure. Our June was one of the coldest ever (I wore a winter coat), many humid days, and now in August we continue to get Autumn like weather. It's currently overcast, windy, and possibility of rain. It's hard because my favorite season is Autumn, but I think I would like a bit more of summer.
I went to Joe's Garden on Saturday and it was paradise. It was a sunny day, which makes shopping for produce & fruit so much more enjoyable. This time of year the harvest is rich and not pricey at Joe's. I wish I had my camera to show you how wonderful it is. They had peaches, nectarines, corn, all types of lettuce, potatoes, eggplant, variety of peppers, basil, onions (red, sweet, green), carrots, berries, arugula, cucumbers, mushrooms (portabella, shitake, and button), beans (grean, yellow, and romano), and more. I will miss this about summer--all the fresh produce.
Cooking & Baking in season:
There are definitely wonderful foods to cook & bake in the summer, along with smells associated with this season. However, Fall has definite smells that make me a bit more happy on the inside.
Here are some things I love about Autumn:
1. Sweater, scarves, hats, mittens/gloves, & wool jackets get to come out.
3. Pureeing my own pumpkin & freezing it for later use.
4. Ginger Cookies
5. Baking Homemade quick breads
6. Smells: Nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice
7. coffee & lattes taste a bit better in the Fall
8. Sunny weather with crisp air
9. Candles lit around the house or fire in the fireplace.
10. Autumn colors