Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Potty Time

We have introduced the potty to Veronica about three weeks back. I read a book on early potty training, which I found to be insightful and not slanted to one side. The author is a proponent to start the process at 6 months, so by the time they are 2 years of age they will be pretty much trained to use the potty. It's called, 'Diaper Free Before 3.'

Obviously, we didn't start at six months or even 12 months, but I don't like the idea of Veronica wearing pull-ups and still wearing diapers at age three & four. Ideally--it would be nice if she was potty trained (or really close to it) by the time the next baby comes.

In the first two weeks she would just sit on the potty and play around, or possibly get up to walk around naked. My goal is to associate her with the actual potty, words connected to going potty, and establish a routine in constantly using it. In this week she has gone everyday. In fact, she's gone twice on one day. She also crawled up the stairs and walked into the bathroom to have me help her go--and then she went.

I figure she needs her privacy in terms of posting pictures, but it is very sweet seeing her recognizing this process.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm impressed. Really. Hope it sticks! I wouldn't want potty pictures of me posted either. She'll appreciate that later.

a.a. said...

oooohhhhhhh! I wanna see her sitting on the potty!!!!! I bet she looks sooooo cute!!! :)

Paige said...

Good for you guys! You've really inspired me. I asked Pear this morning if she wanted to sit on the potty and she said yes. I think we'll start today. Keep me posted as to how it's going.

a.a. said...

Bob and i are working on getting Kali to use the potty too. I'm tired of her giant dumps sitting all over the lawn. She's not taking very kindly to it.