Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Desserts, desserts they're everywhere

My friends Tina & Jason are getting married in a little over a week (8 days to be exact). Why am I posting about their big day? Well maybe it's because I'm in charge of making all of their desserts for the reception. And maybe it's because it's not a small amount of desserts I'm making. And maybe it's because I wonder why I am not considering checking myself into an asylum.

When I had friends over last night, enjoying some creme brulee I made (tasty by the way), I told them I was in charge of making many desserts for the wedding. So I am inquiring of your input as my loyal readers. The list is for 300 people (250 adults and 50 children 10 yrs & below). I have two desserts I will be making: carrot cake & truffle cakes. I was planning on doing some carrot cakes and some carrot cake cupcakes and the truffle cakes are smaller sized cakes (made in large and regular muffin tins). They are going to have hearty appetizers: chicken skewers, stuffed mushrooms, spring rolls, sushi, fruit, vegetables, breads with spreads and one thing more.

I was thinking about making more carrot cake than the truffle cakes (like a 2/3 carrot). Do you think more people would want carrot or the truffle? Also, I was averaging 1.5 desserts for every adult. Do you think that's too much? I was going to make some truffle cakes in large, regular, and mini muffin tins, with the majority of them being in the regular tins--how does that sound? I was thinking of making about four to five carrot cakes and the rest being cupcakes--does that sound about right? Send me your thoughts!

12 comments:

amber said...

woah.

amber said...

I'm over my awe of how much cake you will be making over the next few days. That is AWESOME! You're on the road to being a professional wedding dessert lady.... just think... someday Veronica can be your assistant. :)

I think what you have planned sounds GREAT!!!! Not too much, I think. Keep us updated on how that goes! Geez!

amy said...

Wow. This stresses me out. There is no way I could attempt something like this. Impressive!
Sounds like you have a good handle on things, you are doing well.

Paige said...

I must say, Kamille, you are amazing to take on such a task with a little Veronica and a baby in you womb!

Did you bake the desserts pictured? They look scrumptious!

As far as quantities, I think your numbers are probably about right. If it were me though, I would do the opposite portion of chocolate cakes to carrot cake. I would do 2/3 chocolate and 1/3 carrot. I think every kid will choose chocolate. And at least half of the adults will want chocolate. That's my take! But, then again, I am a true chocolate addict, (or should I say was a true chocolate addict!)

Jenny said...

Way to bake for friends! I'm sure they're very appreciative of your gift for baking and "willingness to assist" -- current employer's favorite term. I really like carrot cake so when given the choice, I would go with that, but I think when people see chocolate they sort of get tunnel vision. Honestly, though, if it turns out like the pictures, I think you could frost dirt and you'd still run out. I know at weddings I never get seconds for dessert especially if they're serving some savory treats as well. I think making different sizes is going to be helpful with portions b/c maybe someone is a little full from dinner but they don't want a WHOLE piece of cake, ya know? Hope that's helpful!

KAMILLE said...

Amber,Thanks for your words of confidence in me. One of my concerns is what to do with Veronica while I'm baking--I'll manage of course, but it makes life all the more interesting.

Amy--thanks for your words. yes I wonder what I was thinking at times as well.

Paige--it will be a busy week or couple days beforehand. I didn't make the desserts pictured, but I have made these before and they turned out really well. I'll take photos when I'm done. My friends said the same thing as you did about making more truffle cakes. One thing is they're really rich and I was thinking people would have to be in the mood for something really rich, but what do you think? Do you think more people prefer chocolate? I was thinking about doing more mini muffin size truffle cakes, b/c you get your chocolate intake, but not overwhelming amounts. I forgot that I'm also making raspberry sauce to go with the truffle cakes.

Jenny--thanks for your input. I'm more along your lines about more carrot cake than truffle cake, b/c the truffle cake is very rich and a little goes a long way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Derrick Scheid said...

oh gosh, Kamille, you really are inspiring. UMM, I'd probably lean more towards the chocolate side too, maybe 1/2 and 1/2, or something like that. As for the sizes, I got too confused with all the fractions and proportions in your blog, I've been out of school way too long it seems :) I'll just blame it on the pregnancy! I'm sure you know what you're doing, and it will all be good! If you need help watching Veronica, I may be able to help out a bit with her, Adri loves to have someone else to play with besides me. Mom gets boring after a long while! -biz

KAMILLE said...

Hey Biz--thanks for your input. I think I might change my proportions. Basically I was thinking of doing 2/3 carrot and 1/3 chocolate, but maybe I'll just make it half of each. I would love it if you have time to watch Veronica. I'll email you.

Anonymous said...

I think you should do whatever you think is best, as long as you continue to wait on your husband hand and foot.

amber said...

LOL! gee... i wonder who "anonymous" is......

KAMILLE said...

Amber--Yeah that anon person really needs to stop leaving comments.

Jenny said...

How'd the baking go?!