Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Top Four Picks: Children's Books

Nica will be celebrating her first birthday very soon, and we thought a perfect birthday theme would be a "Book Birthday." I was thinking how at this age books would be easy to give, since the toy laden birthdays really start around age three & by that point she will most likely have objections by that point.

There are so many books to choose from in the world of Children's Literature; but, as I googled "children's books," here are some that I nostalgically 'ooed' & 'awwed' over.

1. Richard Scarry: I loved these books as a kid, imagining I was right there in the town or house living right alongside the people-like animals. I think my imagination got away with me, b/c to the average viewer, they might think I was in a trance or daydreaming. However, I really was paying attention and thinking of how this world existed and where I could take the bus to get to it. Richard Scarry books allow kids to use their imaginations, learn identification skills, and learn the names of the various items in the house or town.


2. Golden Books: The collection of Golden Books, whether it's Little Golden or Big Golden, they're fantastic and no kid should be without. Both Ben & I had this particular one of, "The Monster at the end of this Book," which led caused me to be concerned as a child of a monster possibly scaring me at the end of the book. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised to be relieved of who the monster really was, b/c those of us who have read it know he's not scary at all. Yeah for the Golden Book Series.


3. Dr. Suess: This man was a genius! I can't think of any child growing up in America who isn't familiar with this doctor, and if they aren't--their parents should be subjected to watching the Tell a Tubbies for 24 hours (this will teach them). Green Eggs & Ham was one of my personal favorites. What I love about these books is the repetition, rhyming, & wonderful illustration--all of which produce grandiose children's books.


4. Kevin Henkes (author): He is both author & illustrator, what a man, of these wonderful mouse books. Although I didn't get my hands on these till much later in life, I knew I would have been hooked had I been a little girl. What I did instead was read the books to my kindergarten class. The same reasons I loved Richard Scarry books is why I love the mouse books, b/c Henkes makes the reader feel as though these mouse are just like people living in their mouse world. (I always wished it was kind of like this.) He also adds little bubbles of the character saying things in addition to what the text says below. Another fantastic thing about these books is you begin to picture children that you grew up with and paint their face on these mouse's face (the bossy girl who tattled on everyone, the weird girl who managed to move to the beat of her own drum, etc). As an adult reading the books, you begin to appreciate that Henkes didn't narrow his audience to just children, but kept the adults in mind, too. You should go to the library and read some--it's even better when you read them aloud (even if no one is there) and pretend to be reading to children--it's quite fun.

1 comment:

amy said...

Hi Kamille,
I would definatley have to add Sandra Boynton for one year olds. We love, love her books for this age.
Also one called "Daddy Kisses" and another titled "Maybe, my Baby."
Really, I could go on and on. I love children's books. If you read Stacy's blog, she has a blogging friend Elise at *a path made straight* who does "children's book Monday's" on her blog where she reviews a chldren's picture book. I have found lots of gems that way. We have such a good library system that I have been able to get most things I've wanted.
Which reminds me of Karma Wilson my new favorite children's book author.
Ok. I'll stop now.
Amy