Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Ponderings on 3/4 year



Veronica is 9 months old today. It's hard to believe that 3/4 of her first year out of the womb are almost near the end. Just last night I was reading "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and a chord struck inside of me as I read the author's story of how he & his wife were viewing their son. His son was a bit socially awkward, and his wife and he didn't know what to do to help their son. They began to realize that their views toward their son was their own insecurity of finding their worth as parents based on who their son had become.

I see how Veronica has gone through different challenges in her first 9 months (probably more challenging for me), but she overcame them (ya know, like learning to roll over, or sit up, or even gain weight). I was allowing my worth to come from who she was, and what her accomplishments were or were not. I felt like I was only a good mom if she were succeeding in different developmental levels, but her accomplishments did not (& do not) dictate me winning the "mom of the year" award.

I realize how being a parent is doing the best you can, loving your kid with all you have, and not putting them in a box, or yourself; as well as, not giving others power over you as to how you parent. I hope this makes sense! Being a mother is a hard job--harder than anything I've ever done in my life; but, I'm sure glad I have a husband who loves me and supports me--reminds me to turn to God with everything. It's also refreshing to know God is on my side through all of this--he reminds me to take it easy and to not analyze things so much.

No comments: